Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Re-Evaluating 2008

Before I officially started this blog, I was posting all of my film-related items over on Geek Monkey, my general purpose little corner of the Interwebs. I posted two articles near the end of the year: my (Almost) and (Actual) Top 10 Movies of 2008. Now, I realize I don't yet have the cultivation or experience of many of the online critics (you probably won't hear me bemoan the lack of MY WINNIPEG on lists, because I haven't seen it, and that's not even considered much of an obscure film), but I feel pretty happy about what I pick, and won't back down on liking something because the critical consensus is against it.

However, the past month I've been trying to catch up on all films I've missed (a substantial amount), and it looks like the Top 10 list is going to have to be revised. For the record, here are my lists as they stood back at the end of the year.

The (Almost) Top Ten (crossed off films have subsequently been watched)
  1. THE WRESTLER
  2. DOUBT SHOTGUN STORIES
  3. THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
  4. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN GRAN TORINO
  5. JCVD
  6. VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA
  7. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
  8. MAN ON WIRE ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD
  9. SYNECDOCHE, NY
  10. A CHRISTMAS TALE
I have BENJAMIN BUTTON, SLUMDOG, and VICKY CHRISTINA at the house queued up and ready to go, which means that more films will hopefully be scratched out and replaced before the Independent Spirit Awards and the Oscars rear their head at month's end.

I'll save my final list for when I've satisfied myself that I've seen everything I can to make a proper evaluation, but for the record, here's the list as it stood back in December (nothing reviewed on this site had been seen at the time of the list). Explanations are in the original post:

The (Actual) Top Ten (in alphabetical order excepting the top)
  1. WALL-E and MILK (tie)
  2. THE DARK KNIGHT
  3. THE FALL
  4. FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL
  5. FROST / NIXON
  6. IN BRUGES
  7. IRON MAN
  8. THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES
  9. THE VISITOR
I'm backlogged three movies right now (only one of which is nominated for anything), but hope to have at least a dozen more films up and ready to go by the time we hit the awards. I realize this may appear slightly incongruous coming shortly on the heels of my remarks concerning Oscar Ennui, but if the various lists and award shows are good for anything, they're certainly great chances to become more exposed to films and experiences I otherwise wouldn't.

Your Homework: Watch one film from anyone's Best Of List you normally wouldn't have seen. What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment